How to choose the best tradesperson or company for the job
Choosing the right company to carry out work for you is a big decision. With rogue tradesmen and poor workmanship widespread, how can you find a local rated tradesman or company you can trust?
From a simple handyman job like fixing a leak or painting a room. Through to more extensive work such as a new build or extension, new kitchen, landscaped garden or a new roof. It’s always important that you select a recommended tradesman however large or small the task. Perhaps you need a specialist for carpentry work or to make repairs to a listed building. Restore an antique or upholster a chair, only the most experienced artisan will do.
Follow these handy tips
The Guild of Master Craftsmen outlines some tips below to help you choose the most suitable tradesmen for the job:
- Are they members of an established trade association like The Guild of Master Craftsmen? Check their credentials. Or choose a reliable tradesman who is a member of The Guild at www.findacraftsman.com.
- Beware of employing a tradesman who is unable to provide a home or business address and a landline phone number.
- Make sure you check the company’s qualifications and experience of carrying out similar work. Using a member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen gives you access to a free conciliation service if problems arise.
- Ask to see references from other satisfied customers.
- Ask if the work is covered by a guarantee, how long the guarantee should last and whether it is backed by insurance. Should the company cease trading, any defects will still be remedied. An insurance backed warranty is desirable, especially if the project is a large undertaking.
- Evaluate how well a company or tradesman responds to your enquiry; do they turn up on time, how closely do they listen to you to find out what you require and how carefully do they survey and measure?
Ultimately, the individual or company you select for your project will determine the quality of the final result. Ensure you choose a trusted tradesman who is an accredited member of The Guild and receive expert workmanship and peace of mind.
If you require any further information or advice, please feel free to contact The Guild here.